Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Powerpoint Sucks Ass

I’m a little out of gas for writing today. I used up most of my ambition for working at the computer yesterday. I had to work on my senior research defense presentation. I give it tonight, so wish me luck as I am the first person to present their defense. I want to set the bar when I give my presentation, but I don’t want to try and make it too good so that when I try to convey my project, I don’t screw up horribly. I really just want to get it over with so I can be done worrying about it.

In getting my presentation ready, I used PowerPoint for the first time in my life. I had never liked the program since almost every PowerPoint presentation I have ever seen has been horribly done. Most people who use it for a presentation put everything they have to say on their slides which takes away from their talk. Why talk when I could just read it all on your slides? I kept my presentation down to around 15 slides, which I think is more than enough. I was not going to use PowerPoint, but my professor thought it a good idea for me to. I will post my presentation and my final paper in a few days.

On another note, I have just finished reading Albert Camus’ The Plague, which I must say, is one of the best novels that I have read in a good while. I did find it interesting that as I was reading and finishing that book that there happened to be a plague of sorts moving through China and, in small doses, the rest of the world. The SARS epidemic in China hasn’t only been an interesting news story, it has actually had an effect right here at SJU and CSB with one of my friends. Because of this virus, my friend Nikki’s study abroad trip to China next year has been canceled. It really sucks that she can’t go, but I’d rather have her here not battling death than over there wearing a respirator and hoping not to die.

Ok, I’m running out of fuel. I think I need more coffee and possibly some food or a little pixie dust (for the presentation). I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow—let’s hope it goes off without a hitch.

No comments: