Thursday, April 17, 2003

Take Note: Don't Call Me Late at Night

Well, I’m going to be heading home very shortly for Easter break so there won’t be anything new posted until probably Monday when I get back to work on my senior thesis defense (I give it on Tuesday night, wish me luck).

Yesterday we had gotten some pretty crappy weather up here—mostly slush, ice, and snow. It made for a very ugly day and the driving wasn’t the greatest, although it wasn’t overly horrible. I got back last night from taking Kristin home and curled up in my blanket, watched some television, and relaxed. I relaxed so much that I fell asleep right there on the couch, probably around 11:30 pm or so. It was a very deep sleep too, just to let you know, until my cell phone started ringing.

Being startled out of my sleep, I grabbed it and answered it. It was one of my roommates calling, but I didn’t know why as he constantly kept breaking up. My cell phone really blows out here on campus. I put it down and just wanted to get back to sleep. Nope, that wasn’t going to happen as the apartment phone started ringing. I picked it up and it was the same roommate. Turns out he wanted a ride home from his friends place in St. Joe, which is where he usually stays on the weekends. It was 1:30 am in the morning and I sure as heck didn’t want to leave our apartment. I was sleeping, dammit! Couldn’t you tell by my hardly being able to talk on the phone? Oh, wait, he probably couldn’t tell because he was drunk. Have I ever told you all how much drunk people annoy me? This is one of the reasons why.

I go get into my car and drive over to get him. I get there, he seems kind of sad and the girls at the place he was staying at told me he’d been drinking. I couldn’t have felt more like a parent then at that moment. It was like I was going to pick up my drunk kid from one of his friend’s houses where he’d been caught. Drunks are a lot like children in that they do a lot of stupid things and overreact. I was still sleepy, and when we got into the car, my roomie told me that he had been accused of being a parental figure at the bar. Yeah, one of his friends said that he should stop acting like his dad. Did you catch that? He wanted to come home because he got yelled at for acting like a dad. For crap’s sake, that’s nothing to get upset over……unless you’re drunk. I was not happy at all, and I’m still not, that I had to get up, get dressed, go pick up my roommate, and bring him home because of something as dumb as that. I should have just told him to stay there, but I’m too nice (which I think some people really take advantage of and aren’t appreciative of it *cough*Yen*cough*). Sorry about that, I’ve had a cold lately.

I would have thought that my roommate would have stayed away from the bars more since he just had a big incident a couple of weeks ago where his friend got jumped, beat up, taken to the hospital, and stitched up. Doesn’t something like that tell you something about the place you are hanging out at? He is always at that bar and always drunk. He’s even beat up on me when he’s drunk and tried hitting on my girlfriend. It’s so sad that all he wants to do is hit the bars and get drunk. When will people learn? Maybe they’ll only learn if I stop being so nice. Is it going to take tough love to get some people to turn around, or is it possible for them to find in their hearts that they should turn things around? I really don’t know. I just wish things would change.

No comments: