Friday, July 11, 2003

And the Rain Came Down

So I’m sitting here writing this thought in my cube at work like usual……well, except for the fact that I’m dripping wet, along with most of my co-workers. Actually a few of them went home already, but anyways. It turned out that mother nature wanted to have some fun with the weather today and in the process soak a few Kingland Systems employees.

Every day at 2:00 pm most of the people in the office go for a walk to the Kwik Trip that is right down the block as an afternoon break. We all get to get out of chairs and cubes, get some fresh air, and do some moving. Usually most of us will get a little snack too, or in my case, something with caffeine in it so that I make it through the rest of the day without falling asleep in my cube. My guess is that my face smashing into my keyboard as I fall into REM sleep probably wouldn’t feel that great so I try to avoid it from happening.

So today was no different than any other. We all gathered by the door preparing to leave and as the last of us got there, we headed off to Kwik Trip. This is when mother nature decided to be funny. As we were going over the clouds started darkening and there were a couple of sprinkles. It had been cloudy and dark on and off all day, so this wasn’t something wholly unexpected. What happened while I was inside getting a Kit Kat was. When I came back outside it was a full-on downpour. The sky had opened and water was flowing down unabated. Not wanting to stand around and wait, especially since it didn’t look like it would quit for a little while, we decided to brave the rain and go back to the office.

That was either A) a mistake or B) wet afternoon fun. I chose B. Some chose A, but that’s their opinion. We walked all the way back getting pounded by more and more rain until we were all fully saturated with water. Now we’re all in the office trying to dry off. I’ve already switched chairs twice because they keep absorbing the water from my clothes. No worries, though, as I have dry clothes in my car I can change into.

Well, I did, until I realized I left my windows open so that my car didn’t get so hot during the day. I ran out after we got back to shut the windows (which I did), but it was too late. My clothes were sitting on the seat next to the window and were now as wet as the ones I had on. Looks like I’m going to be hosting tonight’s improv show slightly damp. I really hope I dry out by then, but it isn’t going to quickly at the moment. Oh yeah, we have a show tonight so everyone should come. I’m hosting, so I won’t be performing, but you can all come watch anyone—it’s funny! Anyhow, I’m going to go switch my chair again. This one’s feeling pretty damp…

No comments: