Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Lots of Writing

I’m back again and can lay down some writing now that I finished my sociobiology paper. Well, at least I’ll be back until I have to start work on my Business Ethics case study that’s due next week. It seems like that as soon as I finish one paper it’s right on to the next one. When will it ever stop??? Well, right around December 20th, I guess, but that’s still a ways off (but a little too close for comfort). I don’t want my college career to end. ‘Nuff said.

I seem to have a real problem when it comes to writing essays for my classes. The last one that I wrote (the sociobiology paper) was supposed to be around 750 words, but could be a little longer if it needed to be. I sat down to work on mine and once I had finished I checked the document’s stats—2400+ words. Eek, how do I manage to expound that much wordage on a supposedly short, easy essay? I had the same problem with my paper before that. My prof wanted a short, 3 page-ish look at Descartes. I ended up at 8……after I cut out some of the stuff I wrote. What amazes me is that I don’t feel like they’re that über-long. Later this week, if I don’t have time to write something new, I might just post my Descartes paper for you all to read, if you care to, of course.

I can see my next paper ending up being a little shorter, though, because I have come into possession of a very wonderful time-killer, Halo for PC. It’s finally out and I managed to secure a copy. I’ve played through the first level and it’s so sweet! Kristin used to play this on Xbox and then rant and rave to me about how good it was, but I haven’t gotten around to getting it for that system (because of the continuing $50 price tag). Now, the PC version has finally been released and I seem to have a reason to play video games on my computer again.

The only beef I have with Halo for the PC is that it’s unbelievably resource intensive. I only have an Athlon XP 1700+, 512 mb DDR ram, and a GeForce 3 64 mb card in my computer (which isn’t too shabby), so I’m stuck turning down some of the nifty graphics so that it runs smoothly. I’ll live with it, though, because I can play it with a mouse/keyboard combo, which works much better for me in first person shooters, instead of a controller.

Speaking of my computer, I’ve had an odd problem as of late with Trillian (my instant messaging client). It takes all of my IM contacts (AOL, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, and IRC) and puts them into one program so that I don’t have an assload of IM programs running at one time. The weird thing about it, though, is that for some reason the option to set my status to not away is gone. I’m always stuck in my “away” state. So if any of you have been trying to IM me and I’m always away, there’s nothing I can really do about it, so just IM away and hope that I’m there. I really wish I knew why it does this, but I’ll just deal since I’m too lazy to really care too much about how my dumb IM client works.

No comments: