Wednesday, January 21, 2004

You Suck, Frontpage

I realize now that my last post was a tad bit morbid and depressing, so I decided that today’s would be a little more cheerful, or at least not a downer. First, a little bit of celebration is in order as I finally stripped all of the frontpage code out of Kingland’s website and implemented a cascading style sheet for the entire site. Finally, after days of slogging through the page code it’s done. Now all I have to do is test it out a little bit here and then if all is well it’ll be up on the production server probably before the weekend.

The next logical step, since I’ve now learned how to work with CSS, would be to take that knowledge and streamline this site. Yeah, that would be logical if I really had the time to go through everything here, but there’s way too many pages and I just really don’t feel the urge to do it. I also don’t really feel the urge to do it because I’m not even sure that many people still come here. More might stop by if I’m lucky since I posted this site on blog.hotornot.com Maybe I’ll get lucky and a few visitors to that site will actually enjoy this one and stick around. Lord knows the message board here is hardly ever touched except for people on the bad ebayers thread. I’ve actually stumbled upon a few decent journals that I enjoy reading. I still refuse to call online journals by the name “blog” because it just seems like such a derogatory term. It sounds like a cross between the words “blah” and “hog” which to me makes it sound like a blog is uninteresting and bloated.

Speaking of uninteresting and bloated, I’m now transitioning into the writing of a manual for one of Kingland’s Compliance products. It’s going to be a LONG process since there is a ton of functionality to cover. The release notes themselves are a solid 129 pages long and the manual is to cover all of that material, while at the same time explaining the functionality to users and giving examples. I really don’t think the manual will turn out to be bloated, it’s just that there is so much to go over in the program that it is going to take a multitude of pages to accomplish it all.

Since I’m now working on the manual instead of the website, well, mostly on the manual instead of the website because I know that there will inevitably be updates to the site to be made, I can no longer complain about frontpage. Don’t worry, though, because for all of you who come here for some solid complaining, I now have word to grumble about, and trust me, just from the experiences I’ve had writing and maintaining the release notes, there will be a butt-load of whining about how crappy word is. I’m thinking of taking the manual and putting it into a web in frontpage, defining all of the headings and styles in a CSS, and then running the final product through Adobe Acrobat to get a nice, huge pdf file. That’s what I’m thinking about doing, but what will probably happen in reality is that I’ll deal with word’s issues and work on the manual in it.

No comments: