Thursday, July 01, 2004

I Want Free Comics!

Now that I managed to vent out many (well, maybe not many, but at least a few) of my frustrations about the auction of my great grandmother's estate, I want to forget about it for a little bit and focus on more happy topics, like Free Comic Book Day!

Yep, Saturday, July 3rd is free comic book day. Stop by a local retailer and grab a couple of free comics. While you're there, pick up a graphic novel or a few comics to support your local comic book store. I'll probably try to pick up a couple of graphic novels that I've been wanting to read, like Batman: Dark Victory or The Final Night, to show some support for the local comic industry, even if I'm not the biggest fan of the St. Cloud comic shop. The owner is kind of a prick, but having a comic shop, owned by a jerk, to go to when you miss an issue is better than no shop at all.

On another positive note, I was finally able to have my first movie night of the summer! It was a pretty small crowd with it being only Caleb, Kristin, and myself, but it was an enjoyable time nonetheless. Chris was supposed to come over, but apparently he "forgot" that I told him we were starting the movie at 7. He instead called at 8:30 wondering when we were going to start. I reminded him that we started at 7 and we were already halfway through Pitch Black. He sounded disappointed that we didn't wait, but we can't always sit around and wait on his schedule.

Pitch Black was a lot better the second time around. I had watched it when it first came out on dvd a couple of years back and didn't think it was all that great. I must not have been in the mood for it back then because this time I enjoyed the flick immensely. It was moody, well shot, and had Vin Diesel putting on his best acting performance. It's too bad he hasn't matched it since. The only other movies he's done that I've even remotely enjoyed have been Chronicles of Riddick (because the action was cool--the story sucked) and Saving Private Ryan (and Diesel had a small role in that one). XXX and The Fast and the Furious were utterly terrible and I can't believe that they were as popular as they are. Goes to show you how dumb the average moviegoer is.

While I'm talking about stupid moviegoers, I'll be one of the many millions seeing Spider-Man 2 this weekend. I'm not expecting much since I hated the first one, but I am hoping the special effects are pretty sweet, especially considering the assload of money they threw into this film. From what I've seen in the trailers, it doesn't look all that great. Spider-Man still looks extremely fake, but maybe it'll look better on the big screen.

No comments: