Friday, November 12, 2004

Just Had To Put My Mind To It

Apparently my rededication to working out is paying off a little. I'm almost down to 180 lbs. now. I've been hovering at about 182 the last couple days, but any way you look at it, I've made some good progress from about 2 weeks ago when I was pushing 195. I was so sick of feeling lazy, feeling fat, and feeling unattractive that I had to do something about it... so I did.

I've been trying to put in a few miles running at night as well as some lifting to build muscle while I burn off all that icky fat. I managed to get most of my strength back pretty quickly (I've been away from lifting on and off for a month or two since our basement flooded). I can bench 200+ lbs. again. Curling over 100 when I want to lift heavy. I've been getting in a couple hundred sit-ups when I can. Now I'm not saying this to brag or anything. I'm just starting to actually feel good about myself again. The key word is starting, though. I still think I can get in much better shape and I plan on trying to. It is nice to see more muscle definition, though, instead of simply knowing it's burried somewhere under a layer of padding.

Today I even braved the outdoors and went for a 2.5 mile outdoor run. Usually once the temp drops below 60 degrees I stick to running indoors, but today was just too nice of a day to waste away on a treadmill or stairclimber. I did get some sore lungs (they're not very good in the cold), but damn if it didn't feel refreshing to get outside and just be in the sun. It's been so dreary and bleak here in southern Minnesota for the last couple of weeks that the sun felt like it jump started my entire system. All of you that live where it stays warm all year round, consider yourselves lucky. As much as I love snow and cold and winter, I think I only need a month or two of it a year.

No comments: