Friday, January 28, 2005

Journey - The Video Game

As I was talking with one of my co-workers today about the sheer craptitude that is embodied by the combination of the lead singer of one of the worst rock bands of all time and one of the worst film characters to ever come out of the 80's in this poster on this website, we started talking about video games back in the good old days. That's right, the Atari 2600 days.

We recounted stories of playing Combat, Asteroids, and trying to figure out what was going on in ET. While we were talking, and sparked by the aforementioned poster, my co-worker remembered that he owned the Journey Escape game for the Atari. I had never heard of it and he had only picked it up because of the name, not the band. I didn't believe him that they ever based a game on a crappy rock band, but then he IM'd me this site, I couldn't help but believe him, as well as wish it was only a joke.

What cracked me up even more than knowing there was once an Atari game based on Journey, was the fact that the site I just linked to existed. Look at it. It's got every little detail about the game in it and explained. There's even an archived commercial for the game. Who in their right mind would dedicate that much time to a video game released more than 20 years ago about a rock band whose biggest hit was the craptacular "Don't Stop Believin"?

Again, I am reminded that some people have altogether way too much time on their hands and if you want to find something on the internet, you just have to dig deep enough and you're sure to find it.

[Update: Thanks to Mag, you can check out the Journey arcade game. How did Journey get so popular in video games?]

No comments: