Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Fitness Extravaganza Wrap Up

So after tracking my eating and exercising habits for a week, it became relatively apparent… well ok, blazingly hot neon orange apparent, that my diet was not exactly, shall we say, good.  My exercise quotient fared a little better, but I still think that I could do more and, in fact, need to do more.  So what are my plans?

Well, first I’m going to try to slowly amend my diet over time.  Slowly phase out all of the candy and processed food that I usually grab when I’m too lazy to eat decent or cook my own food.  I think I’m going to attempt to not go to McDonald’s at all any more.  I just don’t want to go back to that place to eat any more.  When I get the chance, I need to try to make more food at home from scratch by cooking it instead of microwaving it.  Beyond that, I just need to get a better hold on my urges for greasy, fatty, sugary, instantaneous available foods.

Exercise-wise, I am looking at potentially joining a local health club so that I have the ability to do more than just go out for runs around the neighborhood and do rudimentary weight lifting in my basement.  I’ve seriously been craving a full-on weight room experience for a long time now, ever since college. At my parents’ place I had a pretty decent weight set up, but I still couldn’t do everything my muscles were screaming out for me to do.  I just don’t know if I want to throw down a significant chunk of cash every month for a club membership, especially considering I’ll still probably use outdoor running as my main form of exercise for a while yet and I just shelled out a big chunk of cash for my winter basketball team.

Playing basketball at least once a week this winter should also help keep me motivated to exercise, especially since we only have 7 full time players for our team.  There won’t be a lot of subbing going on, which really isn’t a bad thing.  I’m also looking to get onto a volleyball team, but I don’t really know anyone who plays, so if you have a team or know someone who does, please don’t hesitate to use that link over on the right to email me and let me know.

Periodically I’ll probably chime back in on my efforts to better myself physically, but I hope that this experience has helped me to recognize what I am doing wrong and what I need to do to correct those things.  If not, well, I suppose I’ll just start to resemble your everyday, average, fat-ass American.

No comments: