Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Adult Swim 24/7

Starting March 27th, from the Adult Swim website you will be able to watch streaming [AS] shows 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! To most Cartoon Network viewers the Adult Swim shows are probably the best thing about the network... barring a lot of the badly translated anime they put on late at night. But if I can watch Harvey Birdman, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab, The Brak Show, and others whenever I want just by tuning in on my laptop to a streaming channel... that is almost like heaven, if heaven only consisted of a tv channel that had cartoons on it that I liked to watch.

I wonder how long it will be until other tv stations start doing this with their content. I know a few shows are available to download via iTunes and other services, but for a fee. When will other channels start putting up content for free? I have a feeling none of the major networks will but I could see Sci-Fi or G4 (or TechTV or whatever it's called now) doing something similar.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't know how often I will tune in to the 24/7 Adult Swim channel. Some of the stuff I own the DVDs of. Other shows I'm contemplating buying on DVD. The other shows, well, I really don't have a huge desire to see but I guess if I had enough free time I might dial up the site for the heck of it.

Somehow I think putting shows up on a website to stream is both a good and bad idea. Good because I can tune in whenever, whereever as long as I have an internet connection. Bad because, well, the internet infrastructure in this country makes it impossible for streaming media to look and sound super great. We'll see, I guess. Come March 27th, if I remember, I'll have to definitely give my thoughts on the rolled out service.

No comments: