Monday, March 20, 2006

I Got Older

On Saturday I turned the big 25. A quarter century. About a 1/3 of the average human's lifespan gone. It's a little surreal, actually. 1/3 isn't that far from 1/2 and 1/2 isn't far from 2/3 and 2/3 isn't far from 3/3 which is dead which isn't appealing to me. It still hasn't registered, though. I'm sure I'll continue to say that I'm 24 for the next month or two until I condition myself to remember I'm now 25.

In celebrating yet another birthday, I didn't party or go on some bender or do anything crazy. No, instead I enjoyed it with my family, which is actually what I preferred. I'm pretty sure that any urges to party are pretty well flushed from my system. Growing up sucks like that.

It was nice having dinner with my parents, brothers (and their girlfriends), my grandparents, and Kristin. Sitting around, talking for hours, and enjoying a nice (but not overly extravagent) meal felt totally right. For being a person who hates aging and the concept of time passing me by, calmly and patiently enjoying my time with family wouldn't seem like something I'd want, but it was.

Another thing that comes with growing older is rambling, which I'm getting so much better at all the time, unfortunately, I now realize. It's funny, though, that this year my birthday was the birthday of DVDs since the majority of my presents were DVDs. My parents got me the second and third seasons of the X-Files. Kristin bought me the first season of Grey's Anatomy and the fifth season of South Park. My Grandma Meyer bought me the Airplane movies and the second season of Lois & Clark while my Grandma and Grandpa Gebhardt got for me the Criterion Collection Edition of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I did get some other things (like a wonderful knitted scarf from Kristin and comedy CDs from my grandparents), but for the most part it seems like I was overwhelmed with DVDs, which isn't bad at all, just interesting. Now I won't have an excuse for sitting in front of the TV since I'll simply be utilizing the myriad of birthday gifts I got!

On a side note, I also ordered an Xbox 360 and a Sony PSP, which should both be here this week. I'll be looking forward to them. I'll never need to leave the house for entertainment again... and when I do I'll have the PSP to take with me!

No comments: