Monday, July 24, 2006

Why Business Travel Usually Sucks

This afternoon I'll be flying off to Chicago for work. I will work all day today, then leave work to go to the airport to fly out to Chicago, at which point I'll get in to town there with just enough time to maybe have dinner with a friend or sit and watch a couple of episodes of whatever TV show on DVD I bring along. The next day I'll work all day from Chicago and when I'm done will go back to the airport, fly home, and get back to my place just in time to throw my crap down, read a magazine, and then go to bed. The next day I wake up and start work again.

And that's the problem. Business trips are fun when you get to go places cool, like Mexico or New York, or get to go somewhere for an extended period of time, but most business trips are one or two day trips that monopolize the entire two days. I end up losing out on two evenings this week because I'm flying on both of them.

My time, especially my evenings, are important to me. I may not always have things planned to do. I know I really didn't for either today or tomorrow, but unlike some people work does not define me and I do not want work to be my life. Yes, we all have to work to get by and, yes, I will put in my time at work, but I do not want to be the type of person that has their life revolving around work.

Friends, family, pets, personal time, sports, and many other things outside of work are very important to me and I do not want to have to sacrifice them on the almighty altar of work. Because of this, I suppose it is lucky that I don't have to travel an ungodly amount like some people do, and I don't really mind the traveling as long as I get some "me time" while I'm doing it, but day trips tend to really get on my nerves.

To end on an up note, however, here are some flash animations of cats playing rock music. It's really, really bad, but I dare you to turn away. This one is my favorite.

No comments: