Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Falling Apart

One of my favorite jokes in high school, which I'm sure you've all heard at one point or another, went a little something like this:

"A man wakes up and gets ready to go to work. As he picks up his coffee mug, the handle falls off. When he goes to pull out a chair to sit on, one of the legs falls off. After he gets dressed, he picks up his briefcase, at which point the handle rips off. Feeling a little flustered he heads towards the bathroom, but when he tries to open the door the knob comes off in his hand. Now a little freaked out he looks at his wife and tells her, 'Honey, I'm scared to go to the bathroom.'"

Lately, I've been feeling a little like the guy in the joke. Not so much that my wang is going to fall off, but that whatever I touch I'm going to somehow break. There seems to be some type of curse hanging around me as there's been way too many things break on me for it to be just coincidence.

It starts with my refrigerator. When I moved in we had to fix the water line going to it as the piping had corroded shut. We tested it all out once we completed repairs and it looked good through and through. A couple of days later, however, I noticed a puddle in the kitchen. Apparently the line had a small leak, so I shut off the water running to it and I'll need to try messing with the gasket that seals the line.

Also in the kitchen, it appears that one of the drain pipes running from one sink and the dishwasher is completely plugged up with something because water was backing up in the sink and the dishwasher won't drain. There's no blockage in the garbage disposal, so it's got to be in the piping somewhere, which means I need to take it all apart and clean out whatever is plugged.

Not to be content with only two broken things in the house, my Xbox 360 also decided it wanted to be like so many of its brethren and give up the ghost as it gave in to experiencing the freezing problem. So far none of the solutions posed by Microsoft work so it looks like I'll need to get it serviced or buy a new one.

After the Xbox broke, I brought down the DVD player from my room to our living room so we could watch DVDs. Shortly thereafter it decided that it didn't want to play DVDs. It will play for a bit here and there, but after about 5-10 minutes it just decides to display pixelated feedback and the clock on the DVD player outputs gibberish. So now I'm out a DVD player as well.

I'm really afraid of what's going to break next. This is all on top of the TV in my room having gotten its speakers busted while it got moved from my old place to my new place. I've got a hefty dollar amount of items that I'll need to repurchase here sometime. Sucktasm.

No comments: