Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Tomorrow...

By the end of the morning tomorrow I will be the proud owner of my very own house in St. Anthony, Minnesota... but I will also be a heck of a lot poorer. It's a little disheartening seeing such a gigantic chunk of my savings disappearing. True, it's not actually disappearing as it will be transferred over to equity in my home (and put towards the ridiculous amount of fees for closing), but that doesn't change the fact that when I look at my brokerage account it's just a shadow of what it used to be.

This evening I have the final walk through of the home to make sure the previous owners have gotten the rest of their crap out of the place and didn't break anything while they were leaving. I hope nothing is wrong as I'd hate to have a snag this late in the game.

Now I just need to hope the housing market doesn't continue to collapse because I don't want to end up paying for a house that is continuing to lose value. I thought I was timing the market pretty good as I figured the market would turn back up a little with spring coming and then, potentially, level out. With the sub-prime woes, defaults everywhere, tons of houses already on the market, and the rest of the troubles the housing market is experiencing I am a little wary that if I had to, for some reason, sell this place in the next few years I'd end up losing a little bit of money on it.

Whatever, though. I'll worry about that later. For the time being I'm going to continue to be nervously anxious about getting into my new place.

No comments: