Thursday, April 05, 2007

Very Admirable

When Stephon Marbury was playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves, I really couldn't stand the guy. He seemed arrogant, a little selfish in his playing style, and I thought he wasn't quite worth the money we were putting up to have him on the team. Needless to say, I was glad to see him go... it's just too bad we haven't been able to really have more than one good season since his leaving. Anyways, that's besides the point.

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I've been reading about Marbury's endorsed shoe line, Starbury, which sells for $14.99 a pair. I also see that Ben Wallace has jumped on board, which is sweet because I really like him as a player. What's so amazing about this sponsored line is the price. I remember when I was in high school and everyone needed to have the latest, trendy basketball shoes on our varsity team. I never got them, partially because they were so damn expensive and partially because I didn't want them. I didn't buy into the whole "you'll be better if you buy endorsed shoes" BS.

Kids today can now get Starbury's for $15! That's really crazy. I can't even get a decent pair of running shoes for less than $50. When I was in high school, the cheapest pair of basketball shoes I remember being able to find, outside of the asstastically crafted generic Kmart crap, was around $35. Where were Marbury and Wallace when I was a kid?

I hope this starts a trend in the sports endorsement world. In an article I was reading, Marbury had a wonderful quote talking about Lebron Jame's ultra expensive endorsed shoes that I think applies to all too many endorsed athletes today, "I'd rather own than be owned."

No comments: