Friday, May 25, 2007

Gifts From Long Ago

star trek picture

No, your eyes do not deceive you. That really is a Star Trek print and I really do own it. It was a gift to me from my grandma for my 15th birthday. While I was putting it up in the office of my house, since the matte seems to match the color of my office walls, I noticed on the back the message my grandma put on it, within which she put the year she gave it to me.

It's hard to fathom that this print was given to me over 11 years ago. This picture has been with me (well, it's mostly been in my parents' house) for over a decade. I don't know if I even remember what it was like being 15. Sure, I remember that I was 15 and I remember events from when I was 15, but I don't think I can really understand what it was like to be 15 any longer.

Parents often tell their children, usually when punishing them for doing something wrong, that they understand the situation their child is in because "they were that age at one time." And they were, there's no doubting that, but I don't think the ability to relate completely is there any more. If I can't remember what being a teenager was like in my mid-20's, how will I be able to relate to a teenager when I'm in my 40's? I don't think I will be able to, unless there is some moment of clarity later on in life that will allow me to suddenly re-relate to my youth.

And on a side note, how the hell did I get to be in my mid-20's already anyways? I don't recall having that planned out yet. I'm still operating at 22, if you ask me.

No comments: