Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Space Poop

I used to be an anime nut. I'd watch anything I could get my hands on while I was in college. You wouldn't believe the collection of anime that I had amassed by the time I graduated. I can't recall exactly what started my fascination with this unique form of media, but I loved it.

The first series I remember being exposed to, however, was Robotech. I'm sure many grown up nerds that are my age had the same galvanizing experience with this show. It had an alien invasion, giant robots, cheesy drama, and a uniqueness that you didn't find in your average He-Man or Smurfs episode.

What always weirded me out about the show, however, wasn't the focus on how Japanese pop was somehow the alien invaders' weakness (which is pretty ridiculous), but the alien ships. If you look at the picture below, you'll see that they're all long, green-ish brown masses. No matter what I tried to do, I couldn't imagine them as anything other than gigantic pieces of poop flying through outer space with lasers attached to their side.

It was a pretty funny thought to be thinking as a kid since anything feces related is hilarious, but what's even more odd is that, even though I'm now a well established 26 year old adult (who almost acts his age... about half the time), I still chuckle when I think about the Zentraedi space force. They were flying in huge turds, after all...

zentradi

No comments: