Friday, February 29, 2008

Don't Let Me Down, Marvel

So I just checked out the latest trailer for Iron Man. I must say, it's looks pretty bad ass. Robert Downey, Jr. seems to be the perfect Tony Stark and the story doesn't look like it'll be too cheesy. I'm only wondering if we're going to be treated to another Hulk where the majority of the movie is a long, slow build-up to when we actually get to see the super hero. It could definitely end up that way, but even if it does, I think Downey, Jr. is charismatic enough to keep things interesting. That was probably the biggest problem with the Hulk movie--Eric Bana was just really uninteresting.

I also hope they shore up the special effects a little as well. The last shot in the trailer looks like an ad for a new Xbox 360 game not a blockbuster movie. Given the amount of time until the movie hits theaters, I think they can smooth things out.

This is going to be a make or break movie for Marvel since it is the first one to come out of the Marvel owned movie studio. Whereas all of their past superhero movies have been from other studios who were licensing the use of their characters, this is a complete in-house project. I'm really, really, really hoping that it does well. Partially because I want to see more good superhero movies and partially because I own Marvel stock. If they can get some movies to really take a hold with the movie-going populace, it'll cause quite a nice uptick in share price, which I would most definitely not complain about.

I know I've been burnt in the past by awesome looking movie trailers that led up to supremely disappointing movies (I'm looking at you X-Men 3, Fantastic Four, and all of the Spider-Man flicks). I'll keep my fingers crossed, however, and keep my hopes as low as possible. And besides, if it sucks I have The Dark Knight to look forward to and there really is no way that could suck. Seriously.

No comments: