Friday, April 18, 2008

Food is My Weakness

Most weeks I try to make it to the gym or run at least 3 or 4 times. Ideally, I like to do something 6 out of the 7 days of the week and if I exercise heavily on all 7 days, I feel awesome about it. Now you'd think that if I was working out that much that I must be in tremendously good shape, or at least in pretty darn good shape. That assumption, however, is quite incorrect. I'm not horribly overweight or anything, but I'm also far from being in wonderful shape. And it's definitely not because I'm not exercising enough or hard enough... it's my diet. I eat like crap.

I love pizza and hot pockets and greasy burgers and anything you can make in a microwave. I salivate over anything with high cholesterol content and lots of fat. And don't even get me started on candy, cookies, and sweets. Put anything chocolaty within reach and I'll scarf it down before you know it's gone. I love food. And it's because of that undying love that I have to exercise so much. If I didn't I'd be a 300 pound couch potato who can no longer see his toes.

I'm trying to get better about what I eat, however, since I'm not always able to exercise as much as I'd like. First, I try to not buy candy or sweets if at all possible because, if it's in the house, it gets eaten. I've been relatively good about this over the last month or so, breaking down only occasionally to get ice cream or cookies.

Sweets are only part of the problem, however. The other part is microwavable food. I've made a conscious decision to not buy any more hot pockets, burritos, TV dinners, or other "quick fix" microwavable food once my current stock is gone. This will force me to actually cook the food I eat. I find a lot of the time I'm not super hungry, but since microwavable food is so convenient it's hard to say no to it. Now if I had to actually get out pots and pans or use the oven to make food in those situations, I'd probably pass because I'm not that hungry.

We'll see how this goes. I'm almost out of hot pockets and other microwavable food. I do have a lot of Easy Mac and Ramen left, but I have an easier time not turning to those foods for comfort. The only obstacle I still need to overcome after all of this is ordering out. No more running up to Papa Murphys for pizzas that weigh more than a newborn or hitting up the Chipolte if I feel the burrito urge. It'll be tough, but it'll also help my pocketbook, which I can use as another way to motivate myself.

All in all, I think soon I'll be able to start making some headway in changing my eating habits. Not right now, though... I've still got some pepperoni lean pockets and a bucket of ice cream calling out to me. 'Scuse me, I'll be right back...

No comments: