Monday, May 12, 2008

A Change in Format

Looking back over the last few months and the posts I've made, it appears that more often than not the content contained here is almost 50% music based and when I do write it appears to be very burst-like. For example, I'll have a stretch of 3 or 4 days where I cram 5 or 6 posts in then I'll have a week or two where I get maybe 5 or 6 posts in, then I'll have another burst, then I'll lay off. Consistency has been rough, especially for non-music related writing.

I started thinking about this on my drive back home from my parents' house yesterday as I was listening to TWiT and wondered if maybe I was getting worn out on the normal blogging format. It's been like, what, nearly 6 years since I started blogging? That's a long time to stick with anything and I'm thinking maybe sitting at my desk typing away some of my thoughts might not be what I'm totally interested in right now.

It might be easy to pin my lack of writing on a lack of material to talk about, but that's simply not the case. I've always got random crap to talk about and anecdotes to relate and junk that I like to jabber about that no one else probably does, but when I get behind my keyboard, I sigh and think to myself, "Ok, I can get something done, just go quick." I then rip through some half-assed post or put up one of my music reviews. Lame.

As I listened to TWiT, however, I wondered if maybe what I need to do is just start talking about stuff instead of typing about it. I've never had a problem talking. Heck, give me a chance and get me going on something I can blabber about and you'll have hours of material. So why not move over to podcasting? Well, previously it was because I didn't have the technical know-how to do it. Ok... that's not really true, but I kept telling myself that was my excuse. That and I didn't really think I could do a solo show, but then I started listening to American Cliche. That's essentially a one-man show and it's great. Sure, there's an interview or a guest here and there, but for the most part, it's all one dude and it's totally interesting.

I don't want to just jump into the podcasting world ripping off other people, though, so I rationalized to myself that I needed to come up with some type of angle first. For a while, I couldn't come up with anything, but then, as I was searching for a good rock/punk/metal podcast to subscribe to... I found nothing of interest. So here was something staring me in the face that I could babble about for hours and wasn't done (so far) in a way or style that interested me.

So now that I have the technical know-how, I have the confidence to do a solo show, and I have a topic that I would love to tackle what could possibly be my excuse? I don't know, I can't think of one, so I may very well have to take the plunge. Maybe it'll last all of a couple of shows or not even get off the ground, but I might as well try, right? I've got a perfect outlet to get it going with my work over at Decoy Music. There are way more eyeballs (and potential ears) over there than if I just started it from here.

Hmm... well, there you have it. I think you're all witness to me signing up to undertake a new adventure and see what happens. Maybe I can get some people to do it with me, who knows, but even if I can't, it sounds fun, right?

No comments: