Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Some Days...

Spring is the worst. Seriously, I hate every minute of spring... but only between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm since I'm stuck in my cube indoors wishing I was outside. All day I long to be anywhere outdoors, away from my stuffy, life-sucking cubicle. When did we, as a species, let ourselves become so caged? Think about how much time the average person will spend couped up in an office or cubicle in his or her life time. It's astonishing. And I'm one of those people.

It's especially hard to deal with on days after ultimate games. I get to spend an evening outside, playing a sport I really enjoy, sucking in the fresh air, and living in the wide open expanses of the outdoors. Once the day is done, it's off to bed for sound sleep. Then the next day I get to get up and... take the freaking bus to freaking work inside of a cramped freaking building.

Talk about a huge buzzkill. All day I am counting away the minutes, longing to get back outside. I would give just about anything to be able to pick up laptop, take the elevator downstairs, walk outside, and set up shop somewhere in a park or, heck, my back yard. If anything I bet I'd be more at ease and able to find the motivation to tackle tasks throughout the day instead of struggling through them, feeling like they're a chore.

Unfortunately, we're all still too entrenched in our cubicle dwelling work world. It sucks, but that's the way it is right now. Maybe there will be some type of paradigm shift in the future that will allow more of us working stiffs to get outside, but I'm not holding my breath. Tell you what, though, if a company were to ever offer me the chance to do my job outside in the spring, summer, and fall I would seriously consider taking a pay cut to be able to do that. That's how much I can get to hating being stuck in a cube all day. I don't know how people do it and not go bat-shit insane. I'm sure if I'm doing the same thing when I'm 40, you can start fitting me for a straight jacket.

No comments: