Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tripping E

I'm one of the unfortunate souls who has been cursed with the beleaguering plague of having to deal with migraines. I used to get them a ton when I was a kid, but grew out of it by the time I was in high school. They didn't really rear their head again until college when I would get them on occasion. Later, towards the end of college I had a stretch where I was pretty much living with a constant migraine that wouldn't go away. The doctors couldn't figure it out and thought I was fine. Eventually they subsided, but ever since then I can expect to get a knock-down, kick-me-in-the-face, make-me-want-to-die, head's-gonna-explode migraine once or twice a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it's pretty dependable.

When I get a migraine at work, I try to stave it off until I get home by jacking up my caffeine intake, downing about 8000% of my vitamin B complex for the day, and suck down as many Excedrin as humanly possible without it becoming toxic. It's that last step that always gives me a laugh when I'm going through my migraine combat routine.

I don't know how many people have taken Excedrin, but the round pills in the office have a big "E" stamped on them. I like to imagine that instead of taking an over the counter drug for pain management that I'm popping some Extacy to get me through. I've never dropped E, but from what I've seen it makes you pretty nuts and I'm sure it would cure my migraine. I like to imagine what it would be like sitting at my computer working on some data analysis all hopped up on E. It would probably be a hell of a lot more interesting than in my non-E state.

Once I get my short laugh from imagining myself high, I go back to battling the pain and suffering through work. Crappily enough, I just got done with my laugh and I'm now staring down a 5 hour battle with my head...

No comments: