Sunday, May 29, 2011

Fingers Crossed

For the third weekend in a row, it looks like we're going to have to be dealing with rain, clouds, and the potential for even more thunderstorms. I think we've had enough severe weather for the year, if you ask me, especially after the craziness of the tornado damage last weekend. Every year you see the devastation that tornadoes cause throughout the midwest, but most of the time the damage is done to cities and places that I have no connection to. Seeing the damage hit in the city I live, especially when you know exactly where those areas that were hit are, it's quite a different experience altogether. It's easy to say, "That's so sad," about damage to places you have no connection to and then go about your day, but when you see places you know it's hard to just forget about it. It's the same type of emotional response, to a certain degree, that I remember having when the 35W bridge collapsed.

Anyhow, putting that aside for a moment, I'm hopeful that the rain and storms will keep away at least for the afternoon today as we head back to my parents' place to visit and also to my grandparents' farm for a BBQ with the Gebhardt side of the family. I always love visiting the farm, especially when it is either harvest or planting season. The hustle and bustle of the farm work always give me pangs of nostalgia as I remember growing up, working, loving, and hating my time on the family farm. I continually tease my dad that he has to keep working the farm until I'm 60 and then I can take it over in early retirement.  I'm not sure how keen he (or my mom) are on him running the farm into his 80s.

So let's hope for good weather and fun times. And I hope everyone else has an enjoyable long weekend.

No comments: