Saturday, June 16, 2012

Always Engaged: My Natural State

In recent weeks I've had a few conversations with both friends and coworkers about the enjoyment of peace, quiet, and the calm that comes from doing nothing. The genesis of these conversations were rooted around my seeming inability to be, in any way, not in motion or unengaged. I always find myself amazed with everyone's ability to simply... be. Whereas my natural state of existence is to be... doing something.

Looking at my average day, there's not a moment that I'm not plugged, doing something, listening to something, reading something, talking to someone, doing work, doing chores, doing something. If I try to sit for just a moment, I'm overcome with a myriad of thoughts about what I could be doing. "Stop sitting there and watching the grass grow, Rick. You still haven't finished that book you started and you could probably go for a run or maybe you should go check out the latest episode of Bob's Burgers, but then again you haven't done this quarter's bookwork for the LLC and you might want to send those few follow up emails you were getting around to...." is all my constantly churning brain can think about when I'm "doing nothing."

For me it's hard to imagine sitting still when there's so much to do and so many ways to multi-task! Taking the dog for a walk? Well, I'll throw on some podcasts I've been meaning to listen to. Some new post-rock albums to listen to? Might as well crack a book while I'm listening. Hockey game on tv? I'll brew some homemade beer while I'm watching.

This is my mindset. And I love it. I enjoy constantly being engaged. If there were ever a poster-child for the always-connected, always-on, always-multi-tasking generation... I'm it! I know it frustrates my wife to some degree since I'm always in a state of motion and can't sit still, but downtime equals wasted time in my head. There's simply so much to do, so much to take in, and so much I can experience every day that I can't help but feel like I need to cram as much in as possible. We've only got so many days on this planet, right? And there's no do-overs last time I checked. So I want to take in as much as I can every day.

And why am I writing this? Because I finished putting my laundry away, wrapped up the latest Bugle podcast, walked the dog, and didn't know what to do next. I hadn't blogged in a while, so figured I'd do that. Now I'm off to hit up the post office to mail some stuff and then I'll grab a book and read on the deck while it is still bearable outside. And then I have the whole day ahead of me. Let's do this!

No comments: