Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Computers on the Whack

Yesterday was a day like any other. I had work, then I ran, then I lifted, then we got mom’s computer back, then I popped into Bizarro World. Yes, I had another visit with that dark, wacky world once again. It happened like this.

We had taken our computer in to get fixed about a week ago. After a lightning strike the computer decided that it didn’t want to dial to the internet and that if I tried to uninstall the modem, the computer would not even post. That was wacky, and I didn’t want to look at it anymore so my dad took it into some computer guy in Austin who he knew. He looked at it, said that the problem was with the AMR slot. Some setting had to be changed so that the modem could be uninstalled and a new one installed. I don’t know exactly because my dad isn’t very good at relaying computer speak, which is understandable because I don’t expect my dad, the farmer, to know geek-speak. I plugged the computer back in and it booted up ok, the modem appeared to work and the AMR slot was disabled through the BIOS. Everything checked out like he said. Now to try out the modem and dial to the internet.

I plugged in the phone line to the back of the computer and hit the dial icon on the desktop. The dialing dialogue box came up and said it was calling. Then it quit because it didn’t find a dial tone. Weird. So I pick up the phone and there is no dial tone. I disconnect the phone line from the computer and the dial tone comes back. Plug in the cord to the computer, dial tone disappears. Unplug the cord, dial tone appears. Something’s definitely wrong. I thought it might be the lines in my mom’s studio so I took the computer downstairs and tried it on that phone line. Same deal. Well, I accidentally left the phone on with the dial tone and then plugged the phone line into the computer and for some reason the dial tone didn’t disappear. The dial tone actually stayed if another phone was open, so I tried dialing. The computer dialed up but it either froze during the dial-up or it promptly disconnected itself after it connected……and then the dial tone would disappear again.

I could not tell you for the life of me why this was happening so I told my dad to take it back into the computer dude and tell him it still wasn’t working. So as I slowly faded from Bizarro World back into our reality, I decided I was bored and that I was going to watch “The Royal Tenenbaums” dvd that I had just picked up. I had been looking forward to seeing this movie for a long time. I tried to see it in the theater but within the first 10 minutes of the movie, the film got broken and the theater exploded and burned to the ground…or maybe the film just broke. I can honestly say that “The Royal Tenenbaums” was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Everything about it was just so wacky and different that I couldn’t help but love it.

I think the reason I love movies so much and get into them the way I do (whenever a movie comes on I switch into “movie mode” where no one can interrupt me or bother me or I will flip out and beat you with your own arms after I have ripped them off) is because I always put myself into the movie as one of the characters, the one that I see myself being. Every movie I end up being one of the characters and it’s often interesting which character I relate with. In “The Royal Tenenbaums” I managed to relate most with Richie, the tennis star son of Royal. I don’t know why I saw myself as him, but I did, and I loved his character to death. Honestly, this movie was so good that I can’t describe it. Just go see it.

On another note about movies, I finally saw the trailer for Star Trek: Nemesis. I know I’m a nerd, but I’ve loved all of the Star Trek movies. There’s just something about them that I dig. Anyhow, the new Star Trek movie looks absolutely spectacular. It looks to be in the vein of First Contact. I hope it is because the action oriented Star Trek movies are just so much better than the others. I know I can’t wait for it to get here.

No comments: