Thursday, August 29, 2002

Dealing with New Faces

So the first day of class is over and I’m sitting here at work on the second day of school. I feel like I should start singing “The 12 Days of College”…on the second day of college my true love gave to me, two expensive books. Ehh, never mind. For pretty much the rest of this semester, the daily thoughts will be updated while I’m here at work between the hours of 7:30 and 9:30 am.

Yesterday not only marked the first day of school, but also the first day of frisbee practice. It was great to see all the familiar faces again, but we were absolutely swamped this year by new freshman guys coming out to play. I was initially happy about it because that would mean we’d be able to field a few more teams when we go to tournaments, but it turned out that almost all the new guys were nubes and had no clue how to throw or play. Now I know everyone has to learn sometime, but I just don’t feel like teaching a bunch of young’ns how to play again this year. I just wanted to come back, get into a rigorous practice schedule and do some hard-core scrimmaging. It doesn’t look like we’ll be getting to that stage for a while yet. I’ll just have to stick to my own regiment of lifting and running and the like for the first few weeks until we actually get frisbee practice back to “hard-core” level. Just as a small aside, I think we should divide up the practices and have a couple different experienced guys every day go work with the newbies and the rest of the experienced players can do some real practicing. I’m not really a fan of the whole “let’s dick around while teaching the new kids stuff” policy our team has suddenly adopted. Well, whatever. I seem to have my issues with the team every year, and I guess this must be this year’s.

No comments: