Friday, September 27, 2002

Leadership Woes

Well, I hate to say it but this is going to be a complaining session. Sorry, I just have to get it out of my system every now and again. So here goes, I’ll dive right in. Lately it was brought up to the veterans of the frisbee team that some of the nubes have not liked certain members’ attitudes on the field and their lackluster attendance to practice. It was later brought to my attention from our pseudo-captain that I was supposedly the one to set off one of the nubes. Let me set everything up for you first.

This year we’ve had a bunch of new guys come out. Our “captain” has seemed to think it a good idea to cater most of our practices to their level and just kind of string the veterans along thinking we won’t give a crap if we don’t get competitive for a while. For this reason, since most of our practices weren’t real serious for me, I would go, throw around, practice for a while, and then leave to lift or run, since I believe that being in shape is a very necessary factor to our team being successful. Apparently, many other veterans felt the same way that I did, but they just dealt with it.

One day, I asked Flynn if we were doing anything pertinent at practice, since there were only like 10 guys there, or if it would be more beneficial if I go run some miles. I guess some nube thought that that question meant that I was showing my lack of dedication to the team and my dislove for the sport. Well, he couldn’t be any more wrong. What he could call it would be my disdain for the way practices are running and for the attitude of many of the nubes that we should cater to them.
So how many athletic teams have you been on that have catered to the least talented of the players? Probably none, and if you were on one, I’m betting they sucked. Why? Because playing at the level of your lowest players inadvertently brings you down as well. When I started disc, I was thrown into the fire, so to speak. I didn’t get any special treatment and I was forced to learn to compete and if I didn’t learn and improve, I didn’t play—just like any other sport. For my entire first year of playing I wasn’t invited to play in a single tourney, yet this year our first tourney was for the nubes to get the ropes of tourney play. WTF?

To further illustrate my point, we have a tournament this weekend in Northfield, and our team that we are taking is our competitive team, but because of the way we’ve been practicing, we don’t really have any chemistry or cohesiveness. Since we’ve been playing down at the level of the nubes, we’re a little rusty and rough around the edges. I don’t know how we expect to win games without being well meshed. I’m just hoping that some of our pure athleticism can make up for our rustiness. Also, in preparation for our tournament, we had a scrimmage against SCSU yesterday to help get us in the tournament mood by playing a tough team and rival. I thought we would be playing our competitive team together against them to work on our chemistry, but instead it turned into a let everyone play and let them play whatever position or line they wanted. Needless to say, I left a little early since they were ripping us apart because we didn’t have a solid team in most of the time.

What I’m trying to illustrate here is that our team needs some solid leadership by someone or some people that aren’t afraid to make some decisions and to escalate our team to the next level. I’m sick of it being half-assed all the time. There, I’m done. On to the tournament in Northfield.

No comments: