Sunday, February 02, 2003

Juliana Theory and Krispy Kreme

Simply unbelievable. That’s all I have to say about last night’s show. It was one of the best concerts that I have been to in quite a long while. I went to see The Juliana Theory and Something Corporate at the Quest in the cities and boy was it quite the night. The doors for the show opened at 4:30 in the afternoon so Kristin and I decided to take off at about 3:15 so we’d get there right about as the doors were opening. It worked out perfectly and we got there just a little before 4:30. That’s when we noticed the line…

As we were driving in we saw a line of people stretching around an entire block of downtown and as we got closer, I realized it was the line to get into the Quest. I was about ready to crap my pants because I didn’t want to wait outside forever to get in and be one of the people in the back of the crowd in the club, but it looked like that was going to be the way it would have to be. As we were walking to go down and get in line we decided to instead wait in one of the skyways of the parking lot we were in and scan the line for people we knew as they were going into the club. Lucky for us, I caught sight of Nicole and her friends who had been line for quite some time. We hopped in with them and got into the club before most people. As we got in there Nicole went with her girls to the upper level to watch while Kristin and I slugged our way forward until we were smack dab in the middle of the crowd down on the floor.

The first band that was playing was Vendetta Red. They would be a good band if the lead singer would only sing more and scream like a little girl less. Don’t get me wrong, I love scream-core bands, but this guy just had a banshee, 80’s hair metal style wail that I couldn’t stand. The parts that he sang were beautiful, but I couldn’t take all of the senseless screams.

The second band was Red West. I really enjoyed their set. The vocalist had an amazing voice and he could hold his notes perfectly for quite some time. It was very impressive and I picked up their cd before I left and said hi to them as they signed the disc. Listening to their disc I really appreciate their music. I would recommend this band to anyone who loves emo music as much as I do.

Next up was Something Corporate, the band that I’m sure most of the people were there to see. I had seen them at Warped Tour over the summer, but they only got to play about 25 minutes there so they just ripped through their better known songs for the crowd. Here they were given the opportunity to play for a little over an hour. I was very impressed by their musicianship. They dedicated the song “Astronaut” to the lost crew members of the Columbia. It was a very tender moment. They actually had a lot more tender moments during their set than they had rocking ones. They got the crowd moving on more that one occasion, but the majority of their set was filled with beautiful, yet melancholy, songs such as “Astronaut”, “Cavenaugh Park”, and “Constaintine” to name a few. I loved the piano based songs so much and I had such a blast listening, watching, and singing along to one of my favorite bands of the last year.

After Something Corporate had finished their set about half of the crowd left. I don’t know why because The Juliana Theory played one of the best live sets that I have seen in the last year or two. I have been fans of these guys since their fist record, Understand This is a Dream, and finally being able to see these guys play live was such a treat for me. Their set consisted of a lot of material from Emotion is Dead and a song or two from both Understand This is a Dream and their new disc, Love, which by the way, is simply amazing. My favorite part of their performance was their 10 minute plus rendition of “You Always Say Goodnight, Goodnight”. This is by far my favorite song of theirs and having them perform it in its entirety was amazing. The other song I really enjoyed was “Trance” off of Love. I can’t talk these guys up and applaud their live show enough. Mmmm……musical bliss.

After the show we topped off the night by stopping at Krispy Kreme to get some donuts. I had never eaten there and I can now say that I will never go back to eating regular donuts again. The Krispy Kreme donuts are simply 110% better than any donut you have ever eaten. I am now going to make it a mission to stop there every time I go through the cities.

Man, I couldn’t think of a better day than yesterday and I am still reveling in the emotional aftermath of the concert-going experience and the donut-eating extravaganza. Ah, life is good……

No comments: