Sunday, March 16, 2003

What a Beautiful Day

Spring has arrived!!! It’s been so nice outside the last couple of days, and I’ve been loving every moment of it. It all started out Friday with some wonderful 60 degree weather instead of the crappy cold we have been having. I couldn’t stand to be inside for any amount of time after I was done with my classes. Luckily for me, a bunch of people from the Frisbee team wanted to have a practice outside. What made practice as interesting as it was, was the condition the field was in. Since all the snow had just melted (well, most of it anyways), and the tundra didn’t really have much grass on it, we were playing in a gigantic mudhole. There was probably a good six inches of mud on top of the frozen ground. It was next to impossible to stay clean, or keep your balance. I ended up on the ground many times, turning my wonderfully white t-shirt into a dirty brownish-black. Towards the end of the game, as is tradition on muddy and snowy Frisbee days, we had a shorts only point, except this time it was only Jeff and I topless, and we played half the game that way. Also, having to keep with our tradition, I dove for a disc in a humungous mud puddle, sliding probably 15 yards on my back. I was just covered in mud when we were done, but after I showered up I also found out that my back was covered in scratches. There must have been some gravel or something in the mud where I dove because my back got kind of ripped up from it. It was worth it, though, for all of the fun we had.

Saturday was also just beautiful out. I got up and took a short walk around campus, stopping to say hi to some people who were also out and about for the morning. I also made my first stop to the library this year. I really hate going there because it is always so quiet and I never really have any reasons for going there. The only reason I ended up there is because I was told to look for Kristin there by her roommate, who forgot that she actually wasn’t going there, but instead went to a friend’s room to work on her research paper. Oh well, at least I got to get some work done in the walls of the library.

Once I finally got back to my room and found Kristin, we went for a walk along the lake since there was no possible way we were going to stay inside. When she walked in the door, I gave her enough time to put down her bag and then almost pushed her out the door so that we were in my apartment as little as possible. It was just so nice out that I couldn’t imagine spending the day indoors. After our walk, Kristin had to head back to CSB to get ready for the formal, but I wasn’t even close to being ready to go inside so put on some old clothes and went for a jog around the lake where me and Kristin had just gotten done walking.

Once the sun had set, it was time to come in and get ready for the formal ball. SJU has one formal every year (the Stella Maris ball that we went to a couple of weeks ago was put on by the ballroom dance club, not SJU) with dinner and dancing. This was the first time I had gone to it and I think this one time was enough. I had a wonderful time at dinner with Kristin, Yen, and her beau Frank. The dance was a little less fun, but Kristin and I still managed to have a good time. For being a formal, they played a lot of crap music. I usually think of formal dances as having ballroom dance and slow songs. Last night they decided, however, that it would be better to play rap and hard rock music. Sure, I love hard rock, but it is impossible to dance to. They also only played three slow dance songs for the entire two hours we were there. We made the most out of it, though, by just goofing around letting our inner child out.

Right now I’m here at my computer typing this up, along with a portion of my research paper and reading Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. I’ve completed about 5 chapters of it, and I am going to say now that it is one of the worst books that I have read so far in my life. It is written in southern black dialect, the writing has trouble being coherent in spots, and I have no attachment to anyone or anything in the book. I am having a really hard time reading it, and I would have given up on it a long time ago if I wasn’t forced to be reading it for my morality class. I’m going to try and suffer through a few more chapters now, even though I’m looking out the window and it is sunny, 60 degrees, and beautiful. We should just be exempt from doing homework when it is nice out…

Also, before I forget: HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN! Didn’t want you to think that I forgot. I’ll see you next weekend and we can do something special for it. Have fun and hopefully you got some cool stuff (or stuff that I’ll like!).

No comments: