Monday, November 24, 2003

Those Poor Exchange Students from Trinidad

It looks like winter has finally taken an icy grip over St. Cloud. As I came to work this morning, hoping ever so much that school would be 2 hours late or cancelled, I trudged through snow mound upon snow mound. We probably have about a foot of snow on the ground. I’m not going to lie, it’s very pretty, but I really don’t enjoy the subzero temperatures that usually, and this morning did, accompany the snow. I checked the temperature when I logged on this morning and it was a whopping 8 degrees out, but once you factor in the blistering wind, it was in the double digits—below zero.

I don’t know if I’m really ready for everything that winter entails just yet. I was having fun only wearing a fall coat and not having to worry about slippery roads. Friday night was the first night since last winter that I had to worry about slick roads, and slick they were. Kristin, Megan, Rebecca, and I took Molly out for her birthday.

We went to see Pirates of the Caribbean at the dollar theater and then hit up Chipotle for supper. I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it before but Chipotle is the best pseudo-fast food, pseudo-mexican, pseudo-restaurant that I know. They have absolutely gigantic burritos and chips. Yep, that’s all they serve, but holy crap are they good! Imagine a burrito that the God of Thunder, Zeus, would order when he’s really hungry after a long day of smiting us mere humans. I really don’t know what I will do in Rochester without one.

What’s so odd is that three of my favorite places to go here in St. Cloud have no counterparts in Rochester. Cold Stone Ice Cream, Krispy Kreme Donuts, and Chipotle are all food chains that have proliferated here in St. Cloud. Now Rochester is a bigger city, yet we have none of these chains present. Why? I simply don’t understand why someone doesn’t open at least one of these chains in Rochester because I know it would take off like crazy.

The other thing that is completely crazy is the weather here. I’m definitely not ready for winter. Oh, wait a minute, I already said that, didn’t I? I guess I’m still hung up about how winter significantly limits the options of what you can do to pass the time. Take this weekend for example. Yesterday I didn’t even leave my apartment except once to go move my car out of employee parking. I was getting a touch of cabin fever after only a weekend of winter. There’s only so much I could do in my apartment and Kristin & I tried to make the most of it, but the reality is that within our apartment there are about six things to do for entertainment. 1. Watch TV. 2. Watch a movie. 3. Play video games. 4. Read a book. 5. Play a card game. 6. Cook food. You could probably throw homework in there as something to do as well, but it’s definitely not entertainment.

With the passing of fall, so many options for things to do are gone, or at least don’t seem as fun anymore. No more taking off for a run or going on a leisurely walk. No more outdoor sports. No more hanging out outdoors doing homework and reading which often helped because I wasn’t tempted to get off track by the television or my computer. Heading into town isn’t as fun of a prospect because you have to brave the cold and snow to get to your car and then you freeze most of the way into town. Winter just simply limits your options, and that is pretty much my biggest complaint about the season.

No comments: