Monday, March 15, 2004

Ugly Paint

After I finished helping my dad round up a load of hogs to take in to Hormel’s this morning, I needed a shower. I needed one bad. For some mysterious reason, the smell of hog is something that is unbelievably hard to get out. I don’t care how many times you wash your skin, if it was exposed to hog smell, it’s not going to come out all day. You can use deodorizing soap. You can slob on smelly lotion. You can stick your hands in a bucket of gasoline. No matter what, though, that smell is going to still be there. Magically, however, it wears off after about a day.

Anyhow, so I needed a shower, and bad, so I hopped on in after taking all of my smelly clothes and tossing them into a corner of the laundry room where they would infect the least amount of other clothes. As I stepped into the shower I noticed there was a daddy long legs spider at one end of the shower’s floor. After seeing it, I had two thoughts. The first was, “Huh, that’s interesting. A spider is in the shower.” The second, oddly enough was, “I wonder if it’s radioactive.” Yeah, I know, I’m a dork. What’s even more amazing was the train of thought that followed.

“Hmm…I don’t really want a spider in here, I’ll wash it down the drain. Besides, even if it was radioactive, a daddy long legs has too small of a mouth to bite human flesh.” I wash down the spider, but as I do I start to think, “Now if that spider actually was radioactive, it would be, like, some sort of super spider and it should be able to crawl back out. It would also probably be able to bite through human flesh too if it can overcome the rush of water pushing it down the pipes. So if the spider does come out of the drain, I should definitely let it bite me.” Yeah, that’s how my brain operates at 7 am, in the shower, after loading a big bunch of hogs, after a weekend full of painting.

That’s right, we finally got around to painting the addition. We’re not done, of course, but we do have a good chunk of it done. Saturday my mom, dad, and myself put primer on all of the walls and ceiling. Me and my dad got ceiling duty while my mom worked on the walls. Putting on the primer was a lot easier than the paint because you didn’t have to worry about dripping anywhere or running into the other colors or leaving streaks or anything like that. You just slopped it on and moved right along.

Sunday was the painting day. My dad and I painted the ceiling right after church. After that was finished, my mom started doing the detail work on the walls while my dad was on roller duty. Since there wasn’t room for me to work on the walls, I started painting the wood trim. By the end of the day we managed to get about ¾ of the walls done and about half of the wood trim painted. Hopefully, by the end of today all of the painting will be done.

The only problem I have with the new addition is the actual colors it is painted. The ceiling is a beige-ish color. I’m a guy, so I’m not too great a describing colors, so you’ll have to forgive me. I’ll get pictures up soon, but until then you’ll have to make do with my attempts at a description. I don’t have a problem with the color of the ceiling, in fact, I kind of like it. What I don’t like is the color of the walls. It’s a dark-ish sort of hunter green, I suppose. I know my mom loves it, and it matches the couches they bought, but to me it’s about as ugly as Rosie O’Donnell naked. Yeah, it’s that bad…at least to me. I’m glad my mom enjoys it, and it is their addition……but it looks like Godzilla got the flu and sneezed on our walls.

No comments: