Thursday, November 11, 2004

Imagine...

I've been really moody lately so things that usually wouldn't affect the jaded tough guy that I usually am have been making a profound effect upon me. Maybe it's because I'm pondering things a lot more now. Maybe I'm unsure of things in my life and because of that, I reflect more upon what is around me. Maybe I'm just in a phase. Who really knows?

Well, as I was checking some of the message boards I usually visit, I found a link to this video by A Perfect Circle. The song is their cover of "Imagine" by John Lennon, while the video is simply stock footage of the evils of this world. I often don't think about things outside of my little personal bubble, but when I do, I realize that this world is one heck of a scary place.

I cannot imagine being homeless. I cannot imagine being malnourished. I cannot imagine holding a gun and shooting another human being. I cannot imagine being shot. I cannot imagine being abused. I lead a very normal and very well off life in comparison to so many of the people in this world. I feel selfish for complaining about some of the things that I do when such atrocities are happening around the world this very minute.

I find myself very distraught over the state of this planet and the human race as a whole. I want to help, but I don't know where to start. I'm afraid to try to help on my own. I want to do something, but I think I need a helping hand to hold me through because I just don't feel strong enough on my own. Maybe I'm just making a big deal out of some odd inner turmoil I felt after watching a music video. That's probably it......

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isn't hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer,
but I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

--John Lennon

No comments: