Thursday, November 11, 2004

A Minnesota Based Video Game

Yesterday I picked up Test Drive: Eve of Destruction for Xbox. It's a game that my brother Ryan and I have wanted for a while now. There's just something about demolition derbies that we love. Call us backwater hicks, but we love seeing cars ramming into each other until they up and quick working.

Ever since Demolition Racer came out for Dreamcast, we've anxiously awaited another demo derby racing game to come out. Finally, a couple of months ago Eve of Destruction came out. Since I can't ever justify spending $50 on a game, I've been waiting for it to drop. With a gift certificate to EB Games, I managed to get a used copy for $25, which I can justify, even if I'm running a little low in the cash department at the time (I'll just have to sell some of my older games on ebay).

As soon as I got home, I threw it in and Ryan & myself proceeded to beat the hell out of each other on the race tracks. The gameplay is awesome and I recommend this game to anyone who likes a healthy dose of destruction with their racing. There was one other thing that was very surprising, however, and that was the locales of the races.

Apparently the makers of Eve of Destruction think that demo derbies only happen in Minnesota because every one of the locations for the tracks is from Minnesota. What's also amazing is that the makers successfully recreated the major landmarks of the town. For Hastings, the oil refinery plant is the background. In Kenyon it's an elevator. In Mankato, it's the big silo complex that's in town. I was amazed that all of these towns I've been in were the locations for this game. I guess it made it seem a little more fun knowing that I was racing, virtually, in local towns like Anoka or Dundas.

I've never played a racing game that wasn't based on either ficticious courses or gigantic cities like New York, San Francisco, or Chicago. Ah, Minnesota, enjoy your time in the video game racing sun!

No comments: