Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Video Game Sounds

How well do you remember the sounds and music from video games in the 80's? I did pretty well getting about 75% right. I was amazed at how many memories playing this brought back. I had so many flashbacks to playing my Atari 2600. Asteroids, Missle Command, some space buggy game, and of course ET.

I must have put in countless hours on ET and I'm pretty sure every minute that I spent playing that game, I had absolutely no clue what was going on. I'd basically run around and have ET do his neck extension and listen to the wierd sound effect that accompanied it. To this day, I do not know what the point of anything you did in that game was.

I also played a bunch of Colecovision (I think that's how it's spelled) at my neighbor's place... and by neighbor, I mean friend that lived 6 miles away... in the country anyone within a 10 mile radius is your neighbor... because there's only like 10 people in that area anyways.

I can't really remember many of the games we played on the Colecovision, though, which is really weird. I think we might have played Pitfall and Qbert, but there were also a bunch of really weird games that we played that I can't remember the names of. One was a temple raiding game. I think it was a pretty blatant ripoff of Indiana Jones, if memory serves me right. There was also some sci-fi game we played, but I can't remember what it was about.

It makes me wonder what video games will be like in 10 or 15 years when my kids are playing the latest, greatest game and I'm feeling nostalgic over Halo, Unreal Tournament, and Mario Kart. Will there be as much of a difference between the games I'm now and what I'm playing in 15 years as there was between what I was playing when I was 8 and now? I can't imagine there would be, but who knows.

No comments: