Monday, March 07, 2005

Best Trailer Ever

I'm pretty sure that the new trailer for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy found here is one of the best I've seen in a very long time. Any trailer that shamelessly makes fun of what a trailer is and still comes away making me want to see the movie is a good one. Check it out.

Watching the various trailers for THGTTG movie and reading about the speculation online, I find myself thinking back quite fondly to when I first read it, along with the myriad of sequels that came with it. Up until that point, I never really read comedic novels. Everything for me was sci-fi, fantasy, or assigned schoolwork (which definitely wasn't comedic) and I figured that THGTTG would be an interesting sci-fi novel with some comedic leanings so I dove in... and didn't stop until I'd read all of Adam's Hitchhiker novels. His style of writing actually made me chuckle heartily quite often while reading. It was the first time a book made me laugh. I'm talking about real books here, not the ones with the pictures and the superheroes and the thought bubbles that I usually read.

In seeing the trailers, I also wished I had enough time to go back and read all of the Hitchhiker novels again, but I just can't find the time. When I finished college, I thought for sure I'd have way more free time because all I had to do was work from 8-4 and then the rest of the day would be my happy fun time. Sadly, I had more free time in college when I had classes, homework, and work study. As it is now, I have so many other things that I end up doing, my free time ends up getting scrunched way down.

I have to factor in 70 minutes of drive time everyday. I have the time I spend working at Decoy. I've been working on a comic book script. We've been working on re-carpeting our house. I've been trying my hardest to keep in contact with Kristin when I can. It's really hard being apart from her, but I try to let her know I'm always thinking about her through emails, ocassional phone calls, mailing her art projects and letters, and doing whatever I can to let her know that I miss her and haven't forgotten about her. It just seems like I have so much to do all of the time, but then again when I do get free time I usually don't know what to do with it. I'm sure this is all part of that magical transition that everyone goes through when they enter adulthood, but that doesn't change the fact that it leaves me feeling lost, confused, and hollow at times. The older I get, the less answers I have. In their place I end up formulating more questions which I can't seem to resolve.

Maybe a trip to the restaurant at the end of the universe would help clear my mind...

No comments: