Thursday, July 28, 2005

Staring Down a Highway

In the last five days I think it wouldn’t be too much of an over exaggeration to say that I’ve spent a good majority of my time within the confines of an automobile. For me, one of the places I most hate to be is inside a car, so there is little need for me to explain to you that being in a car usually causes me to be grouchy, overly snappy, and sometimes worse, depending upon if I get a headache while driving, which has been known to happen.

Saturday afternoon, after a quite lazy and introspective morning, I left Rochester for the Twin Cities to meet up at the Mall of America with Kristin as she was already in the area since she was at a friend’s birthday bash the night before. We met up, slogged through the crowds, I picked up some cleats & dress shoes, we both got some Dairy Queen, and then we headed out to Jared’s place for the evening. Oh, side note, did you know that Dairy Queen no longer has the brownie batter blizzard? Well, they don’t.

The next day Kristin, myself, Andy, his little brother, and another friend all drove over to the Metrodome parking lot for this year’s iteration of the Warped Tour. It was a good time, but extremely warm. You’ll get a more detailed look at this year’s tour when I finish my writeup for Decoy. After the show we all returned to Andy’s place, from which Kristin and I took off for St. Cloud.

Monday I had to return to Rochester, which was a wonderfully dreadful drive thanks to the pouring rain the entire day. It took nearly 3 and a half hours to get home. Once home, I pack for my Chicago trip, tossed it all by the stairs so I didn’t forget it, and nodded off for the night.

Tuesday I left for a business trip to Chicago. It took almost seven and a half hours to get to downtown Chi-town at which time we had enough time for supper, checking in, and a little bit of relaxation time. The next morning we had a five hour business meeting with a client and then hit the road to return home. I pulled into my driveway at a little under 10:30 pm.

Now it’s Thursday and it feels like it’s been ages since I was not confined by the borders imposed by a motor vehicle. Who would have guessed that I would be thankful for the spaciousness of my cubicle at work? After so much time in a car, though, it sure is nice. Now I just have to get caught back up and get back on my normal schedule. That should be a fun task, and short lived since I’ll be heading to St. Cloud this weekend and house sitting all next week. I want off of this ride. I’m starting to get woozy…

No comments: