Thursday, September 29, 2005

Sleeping Alone

Sleep is something I never seem to have enough of and when I get it, it often comes in the weirdest of spots.  Most normal people will do their pre-sleep rituals, snuggle up in bed, maybe read for a bit, and then drift off to the wonderful world of the dreaming.  That’s what normal people do.  I’m not normal, not in the least.

As it is, I have a very hard time sleeping period.  If I can somehow wrestle myself asleep by the time most bars are calling for final rounds, I consider myself lucky.  More often than not, though, I’ll find myself stuck in a freaky, twilight zone-ish realm of being un-freakin-believably tired, yet not being able to fall asleep.  I’m about as close to a non-brain eating zombie as you can get.

Lately… well, for the last couple of weeks at least, I’ve just given up on sleeping in my bed altogether.  Basically I just toss random crap on my bed, like laundry I need to put away, stuff I’m reading, and random junk I don’t want lying out on it and use the couch in the living room to sleep on at night.

Seriously, the couch is an insomniac’s dream.  When I was in my bed and couldn’t sleep, I’d roll around restlessly or pop on a light and read for a bit.  Being on the couch, I have so many more options available!  I bring a book out with me in case I want to read, but in case I don’t feel like reading, there’s also the tv remote sitting right next to me, and if that isn’t good enough I can always grab the Xbox controller and play a late night game of NHL 2K6 or Halo.

I think the main reason I don’t like sleeping in my bed, other than the fact that it now works well as a place to toss crap, is that when I’m in it, with all of the open space it provides, I constantly crave someone there to snuggle up next to and, frankly, my body pillow isn’t that much fun to snuggle with.  The emptiness that is next to me is not something I enjoy, so when I’m on the couch there’s only room for one and I don’t feel so lonely.  Why constantly remind myself that when I go to sleep at night, I’ll wake up just as alone as I fell asleep.  On the couch I don’t think about it as much, plus I have my good friends Mr. TV, Mrs. Xbox, and the Book Twins.

Who knows if I’ll ever be able to migrate back to my bed any time soon?  Then again, who would want to with so much available to do sleeping on the couch?  

No comments: