Wednesday, November 16, 2005

One Drawback of the Xbox 360

Yes, I will be one of those uber nerds that goes out and buys an Xbox 360 when it comes out on the 22nd. No, I didn't pre-order it and no, I don't plan on waiting in line for one. I plan on going to Best Buy or Target and if they have one, I'll but it. If they're sold out, well, I can wait. No big deal. I don't really plan on buying any 360 games initially anyways because I don't want to pay $50 or $60 per game right off the bat, I'll have already thrown down $400 for the console itself, and I have plenty of Xbox games to play.

So I had a plan--buy a 360 when one's available (hopefully on the 22nd), play the games I already have, give my Xbox to my mom & brother, and everything would be peachy. I was a little bit wrong in thinking I'd get to play all of my current games on the 360, though. The 360 was said to be able to play Xbox games, but apparently it will only play certain ones. They had made note that some games would not work on the 360, but I didn't know they meant around 300 games.

Looking at that list, I came up with 23 games that I won't be able to play on the 360 initially (I'm going to hope that they release ongoing patches to make more games work). Those games are:

*Bloodwake
*Burnout 3: Takedown
*Crazy Taxi 3
*Dance Dance Revolution
*Dead to Rights
*Deus Ex: Invisible War
*Full Spectrum Warrior
*Guilty Gear X2
*Mad Dash Racing
*Midnight Club II
*Midtown Madness 3
*NBA Street Vol. 2
*Need for Speed Underground
*Second Sight
*Sega GT Online
*Simpsons: Road Rage
*Splinter Cell
*Star Wars: Battlefront
*Tenchu
*Unreal Championship
*X2: Wolverine's Revenge
*X-Men Legends
*X-Men: Next Dimension

I can't believe I won't be able to play all of those games. That's over half of all the games I own. Some of these I haven't even started yet but picked them up because Gamestop had a buy 2 get 1 free deal or something. I've been looking forward to playing Deus Ex, Dead to Rights, and Full Spectrum Warrior but won't have the chance.

I will still probably pick up a 360. This won't change things, but it sure does leave me feeling like that promise of backwards compatibility is pretty hollow. I'll have to either sell a bunch of these games, hold on to them in the hopes that someday they'll be playable, or give them to someone with an Xbox. Lame.

No comments: