Wednesday, January 18, 2006

You Can't Type With a Clenched Fist

There have been many a day when, while sitting in my overly cluttered cubicle, I wonder why it is I let 40 or so hours of my week slip away sitting in front of a computer working. Often times I am overcome with a sense of despair, hopelessness, and an overwhelming fear that the next forty-ish years of my life will slip away in a blur of mediocrity before I realize it. Usually, I can't find the words to properly express this, and I still don't have anything good, but thankfully Larry does.

The only thing that isn't really expressed in Larry's piece that I often feel is the anger towards the corporate environment. Maybe it's just where I've worked so far, but it seems like once you enter in to an office setting, logic is slowly sucked from your system the higher you are promoted (on the management track, that is).

Currently I'm being confronted with a totally ludicrous management decision that has been made that will have repurcussions throughout the entire company. In fact, I believe it may be a blow that could potentially destroy the company's most profitable software application. I just don't get it. I might not be a high level executive that has fistfulls of cash to throw around on a whim, which might change my decision making style, but from my point of view, the worker's point of view some management decisions are just utterly, ricockulously dumb.

And that's what gets me so angry. Over and over and over I see dumb decisions being made that I honestly think I could handle the situation so much better but since I don't have actual real world experience (instead I have common sense) I can't get into those positions yet. I have to play the corporate game to get there, assuming I last at it long enough.

I hate the way things operate. I hate the politics and constant dancing around issues. I hate moronic policies that are there just so HR has something to monitor. I sometimes hate the entire environment. Thank goodness I really like the people I work with. They're my only saving grace, really. That and my work is challenging at times, which helps to pass the day. Now only if I could find a productive way to channel my anger as opposed to the usual massive outbursts of vehement complaining...

No comments: