Monday, February 20, 2006

G'Kar, Now Forever Traveling the Stars

I must be getting further and further out of the loop when it comes to sci-fi news, which is unfortunate considering I don't like being behind with sci-fi news (hurts my geekiness quotient), since I missed that Andreas Katsulas passed away on February 13th.

As I was scanning the blurbs my RSS aggregator grabbed from my usual list of blogs that I read I noticed that Loonyblog mentioned something about Andreas Katsulas passing away. I recognized the name and it sounded very familiar to me but I couldn't place why I knew it. Only after heading over to Loonyblog to read the full post did I read (and thus remember) that Andreas played G'Kar on Babylon 5.

Last year I had watched the entire 5 year run of the television series for the first time, marvelin in what was one of the better sci-fi series I had ever seen. You owe it to yourself to watch Babylon 5 if you enjoy well written sci-fi in the least. J. Michael Straczynski, despite his few shortcomings when writing comics, wrote one hell of a tv series.

But this isn't a post about Babylon 5 exclusively. It's one about Andreas. Often I find myself feeling weird when writing about dead celebreties, but on the other hand I also feel weird knowing that they'll never pop up on tv again. Whatever is out there is all we'll ever see of them. Thankfully, Andreas will be remembered for a long time to come by many a sci-fi fanboy as G'Kar, a character we could all look up to.

No comments: