Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Lego Creativity

When I was younger, my third favorite toy set to play with (behind G.I.Joe and my few Transformers) was Legos. Truth be told I didn't have a lot of actual legos but instead had a crap-ton of MegaBlocks and all of the other Lego clones blocks because they didn't cost the GDP of a small nation to buy.

Being somewhat uncreative and possessing a very single tracked mind, I spend most of my lego creation time making spaceships that I later stage mock space battles between. Often these battles would end with one ship getting shot in the engineering section and crashing (read: me throwing) into the ground.

Ocassionally I'd come up with something else interesting to build, like one time I made some farm houses and barns to use with my farm playsets, or another time I made a bunker for my G.I.Joe characters, but never did I venture into the creative territory someone else did when they created classic video game screens with Legos.

Whenever I see cool stuff like this on the internet I always wonder, "Why the heck don't I think of things like this?" It's not like I'm totally uncreative... at least I hope not. Then again, I think a lot of it has to do with the complete and utter lack of free time I have. Looking back over the last year I did try to do some interesting stuff with the Big Boy Toy Box cartoons I was creating, but that was mainly because I did have free time. Crap, looking back at those cartoons I kind of want to start up with it again. Too bad I have a few other pressing personal matters that I need to take care of first.

No comments: