Thursday, February 16, 2006

Thoughts on Recently Watched DVDs

A lot of people, in talking about this movie, related it to Crash. I went into it with the mindset that it would be topically the same as Crash, but that was obviously the wrong way to go about it. This movie was only similar to Crash in that all of the story threads tied together in the end (or beginning, however you look at this movie). Topically, they are completely different.

What I did find when I watched (much the opposite of Kristin) was a movie that focused not so much on the characters, although there is a decent amount of character building, none of it very deep however, but instead focused on how the different threads of the story came together. This is what I found most interesting. Seeing how all of the different plotlines, each giving away a little more of the story as they were explored, came together in the end to give you the full picture, which seems very artistically intriguing to me. If you're looking for complete closure on the storyline, you'll be frustrated to no end, but if you enjoy trying to put all the pieces of a puzzle together before the end of the movie, it's a great one to watch.


Bill Murray, almost all of the time, can make a movie on his own. This, however, is not one of them. I can only stand so many stationary shots of Murray sitting down or lying on a couch. There was altogether way too much padding throughout this film. So many times during the movie's running, I'd find myself looking at my watch. Boring doesn't even begin to describe the tedium that most of this movie's shots reside in.

Seeing the different types of characters that Murray's old flames turned out to be was moderately interesting, but when the movie returned to focusing on Murray I would again lose interest. For all of the praise heaped upon this movie, I had a hard time keeping myself on the couch and finishing this thing to the end. If you want to see Murray at his best go watch Rushmore or The Royal Tennenbaums.

Oh yeah, the ending is also beyond stupid. I will not lie to you. You will get to the ending, see the credits start to roll, and then contemplate punching a baby.


I should have known what I was getting into before even turning this dvd on. Reviews for this movie have been... mixed, at best. Word of mouth from some of my friends had been worse. Still, I thought the premise sounded interesting. Unfortunately I didn't do what I should have done and listened to the reviews. This movie was terrible. If you want to see two hours of morally ambiguous characters doing all the bad things that even you weren't daring enough to think about doing in college, then go ahead and watch this movie. If that doesn't sound interesting then please don't waste your time.


You know, when I saw that this was "based on a true story" I knew it was going to be bad. What's odd is that it was only moderately bad. It didn't venture into Cabin Feverhorror bad but it also couldn't quite turn into a quality flick either. Ryan Reynolds pretty much kept the movie afloat by being all crazy and freaky, but beyond him being the opposite of his funny self, there wasn't a whole lot of substance to this movie. I don't mind tossing away a couple of hours on a horror flick as long as I know that I'm not going to be getting the best modern cinema has to offer. At least it was better than most of the other horror movies that have been released in the last few years.

No comments: