Monday, May 01, 2006

Change in Dress

So far one of the biggest changes that I've had to get used to with my new job is the change in dress. When I was at Kingland, if I wasn't meeting with a client in person (which wasn't all that often) I could show up at work in shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals. And I loved every minute of it. Who doesn't love not worrying about having to get all dressed up before work? It made the day a little easier because I could be comfortable.

At my new position, it's totally business dress all the way. No t-shirts here. No shorts. No sandals. I can barely get away with leaving my dress shirts untucked. The only way I can is if I go right to my office bypassing everyone else in the office and then I stay there all day only to leave for coffee or taking a pee.

I really, really hate dress clothes. For me they are ridiculously uncomfortable. Sure, some people love dress pants, and I admit that at times they do feel nice on, but not for an entire day with a shirt tucked into them and a belt around your waist that just doesn't feel like it's the right size. One hole is too tight and the other is a little too loose. Thank God I don't have to wear a tie or a suit every day.

Most of the day my feet are screaming at me to be let free. Being trapped in dressy shoes or boots is not something they enjoy. I'm the type of guy that will wear sandals every day of the year that there isn't snow on the ground so it's quite a difference having them trapped inside semi-uncomfortable shoes for 10 hours a day.

Considering I also end up having to travel places now, I'll be in New York next week and Mexico at the end of the month, it also gets to be a real chore to attempt to pack dress clothes into my suitcase without them getting somehow wrinkled. It's damn near impossible! Even if I only pack them into my suitcase for the flight out and unpack them in my hotel room as soon as I arrive, they always end up somewhat wrinkled.

And what is the point of it all? I can't stand spending extra money for expensive dress clothes when I'm perfectly happy with my current wardrobe. I can't stand taking extra time out of my day to get gussied up when no one sees me anyways. I spend the entire day in my office since no one from my team is in this office - they're all located in other cities so we do all of our work over the phone.

*Sigh* I guess there's no escaping it. The older I get and the higher I move up the corporate ranks, the more dressy it's going to get. I hate conforming, but I don't have a choice, do I?

No comments: