Friday, June 23, 2006

Rah Rah Rochester?

I seriously thought it was a joke when I first heard, but then I read the Strib article about it and was simply dumbfounded. Apparently, in order to change the image of Rochester, they needed a slogan. It was to be a slogan that would give Rochester a fun, light-hearted image instead of the sterile one it currently possesses. Well, my initial response is this.

Duh Duh Dumb

Whoever let "Rah Rah Rochester" be the city's new catchphrase and branding should be hit in the face with a mallet. I can't believe anyone would think this slogan would be a good idea... unless everyone involved was on some type of mind altering drug, but even then it's pretty inexcusable.

What's even more surprising is they've been working on solidifying a theme for... wait for it... 18 months! It took them a year and a half to come up with something so ridiculous that I don't think even person who suggested it actually meant it as a serious suggestion. We are, no doubt, looking at a case of a joke playing itself out way too far.

Thank goodness I got out of that crazy ass, boring town a few months ago. I'm glad to see the town is still filled with dumb, rich people who have nothing better to do in their free time than spend 18 months coming up with a slogan that sounds like something a toddler would utter when trying to read his or her first book.

No comments: