Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Do You Use Pennies?

I don't know how many of you actually use pennies, but I know that I don't. They're beyond worthless in my eyes. First, I rarely use cash as it is, especially in coin form. Who likes listening to their pants jingle as they walk down the street? Who enjoys having a bunch of round metal cutouts in their pants rubbing up against cell phones, wallets, and other pocket accessories? I sure don't.

Because I hate pennies so much, Jim Kolbe is my hero of the moment. Today he is again continuing his crusade against the devious, poop colored, monetary atrocities. Why don't people want to round to the nearest nickel? When it costs about a buck to buy anything (that's basically what a can of cola costs in street machines), why do we need a tiny denomenation of coin, which isn't even accepted by vending machines, that would take 100 of them to buy a can of pop?!?!?!

And when you think about it, we keep making more and more pennies at a loss. It costs something like 1.3 cents to make a single penny that is worth one point zero cents! Who did the math on that one? I say melt down the pennies into a big, heaping vat and then use it to press dollar coins. I still don't know why there isn't more of a demand for dollar coins. Considering I only keep quarters in my pockets (to buy the aforementioned soda with), it would be nice to have some variety when I reach into my pocket for money.

A penny saved is not a penny earned. A penny saved is stupid. Let's make nickels the bitch of the US coin family.

No comments: