Thursday, July 27, 2006

Sex Master!

So I was bored and decided to take this sex quiz. I really had no clue how I would do, but apparently I'm a freakin' sex genius! I scored 80% and according the results am an expert. Rock on! Actually, I just think I'm a pretty good guesser.

Interestingly, I stumbled upon this quiz when I was reading an article about the history of human sex. In the article it explores, to a modest degree, some of the questions I know we've all asked at some time like: Did cavemen do it more? Are we more sexually liberated than the seemingly prudish occupants of the 19th century? How do we differ from animals when it comes to sex?

I know I've often wondered these things. Our society today is so overrun with sexual imagery and sexual overtones that it's hard to imagine past generations being as sexually focused in their day to day lives. I look back at the traditions of people from less than a century ago and it seems like there was a definite lack of sexuality in everyday life.

Look at the concept of courting. It never happens any more. How often do kids go on dates with each other with the watchful eyes of their parents keeping a lookout? Hell, you don't even see that many honest to goodness dates any more. It's all about "hooking up" and then, if you are decently satisfied with the person you snagged before last call at the bar, you decide to see each other again. If not, you go your separate ways and repeat the process.

It amazes me how many couples I know who met up at a bar or party, hooked up, and then dated afterwards. I never understood that. I've always been the type of person who is so timid and shy when it comes to making a first move that I would never have been able to do something like that. Personally, I feel like I'm one of the few people that believes in the traditional concept of dating.

Another key difference I see between our generation and that of the many generations before ours is the amount of partners your average 20 something person has had. It's daunting, at times, to find out the number of people someone has been with. Has sex lost its meaning? Or has it just become something that is gotten to quicker in a relationship?

I'm afraid to see what the answers to some of these questions might be in 20-30 years when my kids are getting to be my age.

No comments: