Saturday, July 01, 2006

Summer's Over

red leaves blow in the wind
leaving home and everything it's known behind
barren branches wave goodbye
as the red leaves slowly die
every flower stares and watches
as the wind takes me away
before the sun shone upon me
now the wind takes me away
red leaves falling
through the branches
making their way to the ground
blowing by the flowers sleeping
no one knows the leaves are leaving

"Autumn"
Haste the Day

The weekend of the fourth of July is already here. The year is half over. Summer is on its way out. Autumn is well on its way in. Summer is usually a time of year that flies by quickly, but every year it slips by a little quicker. In a few more blinks of the eye there will be leaves falling from the trees, farmers harvesting their fields, and kids heading back to school, which is still the hardest part of fall for me to take.

I may finally be coming to grips with the fact that I'm not in college now that I've been out for over three years, but there is still always a small sting when the middle of August appears on my calendar. College was a time that I'll never forget and a time that I still fondly look back upon, but my feet are starting to know how to walk to paths of the world that comes after your diploma is handed to you.

With summer half over, reflecting back I see that I did a lot, but also didn't do anything at all. The transition from my old job to my new one, the move from Rochester to Minneapolis, and the easing into my new surroundings has taken up a good chunk of my free time. Also learning how to be completely on my own has taken some adjustment. Beyond those things and getting back onto an ultimate frisbee team, I haven't really done too much with my summer and it's a little depressing.

Not knowing a ton of people in the area, and knowing that some of the people you do know you don't know well enough to just "hang out" whenever, has led to many nights where I'd sit at home with myself after going for a run not doing much of anything, or I'd hang out with my roommate, who has thankfully been around to do things with, passing the evening away.

I do get to a lot of concerts and such, but not having that bustling social life that was present in college (which is one of the main things I miss), I find myself longing for more than what I have. It's too bad because there is nothing worse than that sense of longing and wanting to hold you down and dampen your spirits.

It's not all bad, though. In fact it's been pretty good, but it's not nearly as fun to complain about what's good! My trip to Mexico was fun. My travels to Chicago and New York were great. Getting to see the world, my first broadway play, eat at some wonderful restaurants, and do other things that some people can't experience helps me to remember that I do have it good... but I still want more, you know?

No comments: