Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mother Nature Wins Round One

You know how it was freezing ass cold in Minnesota yesterday? I decided it would be a good idea to take on the cold and go for a run. My brain was telling me that I needed to get my body used to the cold as I still have a month or two of fall league ultimate frisbee, along with a tournament or two, yet this year. It's not getting any warmer out, my brain tells me. So I listened to my brain because it sounded like it made sense, got in my cold weather running clothes, put on my MP3 player, and jumped outside for my run...

...at which point every fiber of my body screamed at my brain that it was f'ing cold out. It wasn't just that it was in the low 30's outside, but it was also moderately windy. My brain assured the rest of my body that once I was into my run, I would feel warmer. About a mile into my run, I wasn't that much warmer. In fact, 2.5 miles later when I reached the gym, I was still pretty damn cold.

Then, to make matters worse, after I was done working out at the gym, I had to run the half mile home covered in a layer of sweat. Not my smartest moment, believe me. The entire way home I think I was propelled along by shivers. Actually, for being tired and really tight after lifting, I ran home about as fast as I ever have.

Mother Nature, I concede this round to you, but beware. In the future I'll be prepared. I realize now that shorts and a long sleeved shirt under a short sleeved shirt are not enough to protect me from your nipple densening cold winds. I'll dress warmer and I'll beat you. You just wait.

No comments: