Friday, November 10, 2006

Gears of Freakin' War



Holy chainsawed alien face, Batman, Gears of War is ridiculous. Seriously. If you own an Xbox 360 and don't buy this game, your 360 should be violently removed from your household and given to a gamer that knows what's what.

So I threw down my $60 on Gears of War yesterday and as soon as I got it delivered to my house yesterday (thanks Kristi) Jared and I jumped right in and started a two player campaign. Awesome is really not good enough of a word to describe my initial reaction. The hype is real, everyone, this game is gorgeous and it feels like a big budget blockbuster movie as opposed to a series of levels connected by cut scenes. You smoothly transition from "level" to "level" if you can call them levels.

We only played for about 45 minutes, but the entire time I was totally engaged. I'm sure we'll put in way too many hours on this game over the weekend, but that's fine with me. I have to get my $60 worth one way or another.

I also managed to put in a couple of games of online play and was also quite impressed. It's quite noticeable right from the first match that if you don't work as a team, you're hosed. The design of the game makes it almost impossible to succeed on your own, unless you are a GoW god. The dynamics make it a little deeper than your usual run and gun shooter. I'm sure I'll also play way too many games online, getting pwnd like a noob.

Go get this game, everyone. And if you don't own a 360... buy one!

No comments: