Thursday, March 08, 2007

That's Where All My Money Went

I've always thought of Minnesota as a nice, reasonable place to live. There seem to be plenty more well off people in this state than those that aren't. Minneapolis doesn't really have a ghetto area like most other similar large cities (I'm looking at you Detroit, San Diego, Pittsburgh, and the like). Our businesses are booming, especially with the headquarters of Target, US Bank, and Wells Fargo being based here as well as many other up and coming companies such as Medtronic. So, surprisingly, but maybe not so much so, I was a little disheartened to find that out of all 50 states, we Minnesotans pay the 4th most amount of taxes.

I probably should have guessed that since we're quite well off in this wonderful, arctic state that we'd also be more heavily taxed, but I didn't think we'd finish fourth on the list for paying the most. On average nearly 12% of a Minnesotan's income goes to taxes. What sucks even more, depending upon how you look at it, I guess, is that I most definitely pay well above the average. This is good because it means I make a decent amount of money, enough to get by, but it also means I'm stuck giving more of it to Uncle Sam, funding crap I don't believe in.

So where does your state lie on the list?

No comments: